This week’s OMD FWD looks even further into the future as we explore the exciting prospect of self-driving Uber cars, the growing opportunities for brands as smart home devices integrate into our lives and the pros and cons of some over-zealous ‘BS Detector’ plug-ins protecting us from the scourge of fake news. Do not fear, we haven’t looked past Christmas and have thrown in a few of the best Christmas ads so far. From Manning Gottlieb’s activation of John Lewis’ #BusterTheBoxer and Waitrose’s #HomeFor Christmas to Burberry, Macy’s and Tiffany’s, we are sure they will get you into the festive spirit.
- Sky has launched its new mobile network “to shake up the mobile market”
- Google launches App Maker to make it easy for anybody to quickly develop basic apps
- The Sun teams up with the NSPCC to launch campaign to #BlockTheBullying
- With over 6.3m voice assistants shipped in 2016, brands are creating are creating ‘skills’ for use via smart home devices, with 700 being added last week alone
- Spotify launches “Thanks, 2016. It’s been weird” campaign using localised listener data as the source of their creativity
- Selena Gomez is revealed as Instagram’s most popular celebrity in 2016
- Get your late night doner kebab delivered by robot
- Uber launches AI lab in a move towards self-driving cars
- An app to read your mood and suggest the best food fit
- More like a long watch here is a creative review of all the 2016 Christmas ads
- The ‘golden ticket’ of effectiveness research, the IAB takes another look at the impact of online advertising on offline sales
- The focus on preventing fake news content grows, as technologist launches ‘BD Detector’ plug-in on Facebook and Twitter….and gets blocked
As ever, please tag and share anything you spot with #OMDFWD.