Hello and welcome to your weekly FWD.
As we skip Spring and go head first into Summer, Mark Zuckerberg was also plunged head first into his appearance at Congress where he was grilled for over 5 hours by US lawmakers on the social network’s role in democracy. The other social networks were also on high alert with Instagram now giving users the opportunity to download a copy of their data, and Twitter has agreed to comply with the Honest Ads Act.
Nielson the leading global information and measurement company has released a tool that will make it easier for advertisers to buy commercial space armed with more granular audience data. Google has launched a new reach planner for YouTube on Adwords.
- As Mark Zuckerberg faced a grilling from congress, Vice dared Facebook users to shake up the algorithm by liking posts they hate and Facebook tested new ways to get more people using stories
- In light of the controversy surrounding Facebook, Instagram is going to let users download a copy of their data
- Twitter has agreed to comply with the Honest Ads Act, as a new study reveals two thirds of real news articles on the platform are shared by bots
- Nielsen has released a tool to incorporate custom audience data and Google launches a new reach planner for YouTube on Adwords
- Social media ad spend trends indicate large increases from Facebook and phenomenal growth from Snapchat
- Whilst voice payments may not be mainstream yet, the appetite from consumers is there
- According to new research in 2020 online sales of physical goods will make up 13% of total retail sales
- Nike brings out new limited edition trainers that function as connected devices
- A new video format being tested by Unilever allows users to select a charity to benefit from the ad revenue, based on their watch time
- Social media activist Chessie King features in an anti-trolling campaign to promote body confidence
- A smart license plate in Dubai is being tested that contacts paramedics in the event of an accident and the Minority Report could become a reality, as India turns to AI to predict crimes
- Google and the Girl Guides have teamed up to get more girls involved in coding
- Social media has become pivotal to the Interior Design industry as consumers strive to capture the Instagram worthy
As always, please share anything you find interesting using #OMDFWD