Hello and welcome to your weekly FWD.
Square eyes, sore thumbs, general FOMO… is your time well spent? Social media platforms are contradicting the behaviour that inherently comes with their programs by monitoring how much time you wile away online. In the interest of saving time, Instagram now adds shopping capabilities to stories whilst Snapchat adds ‘another dimension’ of measurement through marketing mix modelling. Oh snap.
Whilst you jealously watch revellers on the French Riviera at Cannes, do so in the knowledge that hot nights = loads more shopping. Restless sleepers will turn to the internet to soothe themselves back to a restful state with the promise of a shiny delivery in the morning. Festival-goers (and anyone for that matter) can also rest easy by knowing that any emergency calls made will automatically share your iPhone location with iOS12. Time to get that update.
Last but far from least, check out the great work that OMD is doing at Cannes Lions 2018 with our purpose-built site – bringing you live feeds, blogs, thought leadership and the ‘best of’ in one hot spot. Get in on the action and join the conversation – #OMDCANNES
- People are using social media less for news, but general usage remains strong
- Instagram makes its Stories shoppable and launches Time Well Spent feature to monitor usage
- Snapchat partners with Live Ramp to measure the effect on sales
- A study shows Beauty influencers drive a strong ROI of £8.81
- Warm evenings lead to increased online traffic
- Sustainable product shoppers are 22% more likely to shop on a digital handheld device
- During an emergency iOS 12 will share your location
- A journalist who lost his voice due to a rare condition, is back on air with the help of AI
- Budweiser launches the first sound-activated Snapchat Lens during the World Cup
- Understanding the opportunity for Blockchain in the social media landscape
- Vote on Europe’s latest copyright proposal
- Reuter’s Institute surveyed more than 74k about their digital news consumption
As always, please share anything you find interesting using #OMDFWD