Hello and welcome to your weekly FWD.
The rise of influencer marketing is causing waves as more and more fantasy-like posts surface which have generated comments calling Instagram ‘a ridiculous lie factory made to make us all feel inadequate’. The public are becoming attuned to paid posts, unrealistic images and the ‘highlight reel’ that is often the only visible representation of one’s life. In line with this, UK broadcasters are urging the government to create a social media watchdog to strengthen oversight of social media companies. The response? Yes, we know.
In the tech space, excitement is building over Apple’s impending product announcement on the 12th of September in Cupertino. The rumour mill is churning out speculation on whether the home button is being superseded with OLED screens, and if the iWatch will at last, be round.
- Facebook Watch has gone global and offers new opportunities for advertisers
- Twitter is testing threaded replies and status indicators
- Google’s AI offers optimisation tool to help make your ads better in real-time
- Skype gets an update as it looks to re-engage users
- YouTube wants to make charitable giving easier as it introduces a suite of tools for fundraising
- Digital will account for over 63% of all ad spend with 10% additional growth forecast for 2019
- The growth of Instagram stories in five charts
- Pew Research in the US finds that teens are taking steps to reduce their smartphone and social media usage
- US meat producer Farmland creates a Supreme style lookbook
- Brown bag wine tasting with William Shatner, just one of the highlights of BrewDog’s new push into ‘craft’ content
- Flexible, scrollable and waterproof. Tablets coming that mimic the design of ancient scrolls
- 21st century Tin Pan Alley. How AI is changing the way hits are made
- The untold story of NotPetya, the most devastating cyber-attack in history that you’ve probably never heard about
Please feel free to pass OMD FWD onto your colleagues, clients and friends – they can subscribe here at any time and watch Wednesday’s get better! #OMDFWD