Hello and welcome to your weekly FWD. Following the Cambridge Analytica fiasco, this week saw social media giants such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter reviewing their privacy standards with Facebook releasing a new and efficient way of removing connected apps from user’s accounts. For those of you who ever regret sending a Facebook message you will be pleased to know that Messenger is following in the footsteps of WhatsApp and will add an ‘unsend’ feature. OMD EMEA’s Head of Social Charles-Henry Ruyant comments on how brands should approach Facebook’s 2018 changes.
As mentioned last week, Spotify went public and this week made the headlines with a bullish initial valuation from the Spotify IPO, with some positive news for the tech company despite the challenging climate for tech companies.
- Spotify’s IPO got off to a good start despite a challenging climate for tech brands although some investors found its valuation difficult to fathom due to the company’s intangible assets. Their first physical product could be on the horizon in the shape of a smart car speaker and of course we hope they continue doing what they are doing with the ’Genius’
- In a haste to reassure and restore confidence after the scandal, Facebook have launched several initiatives. Including a bulk app removal tool, an ‘unsend’ feature for messenger and closed access to the Instagram API
- YouTube launches TrueView for Reach; a 5 second skippable version
- Elsewhere Twitter are going to refresh users of their ‘rules’ as Snapchat brings back the old chronological timeline for some users
- How Alexa is influencing the next generation
- Background knowledge is the reason why we will stay ahead of computers (for now)
- Ever wanted to see what other people search for? This Chrome extension is for you
- Take a tour of Tokyo in 360 degrees
- Manchester City form a partnership with Tinder to promote footballing equality
- Ready Player One recreates 80’s TV titles in 8 bit… Retro
- Tap Bio lets you link to multiple pages from one account
- Google used data analytics to predict basketball game outcomes, and inserted the predictions into ads pre-game
- Have we witnessed the death of the newsfeed?
- Influencer marketing evolves as we better grasp the value in these partnerships by giving individuals long-term contracts and a better understanding of KPIs
As always, please share anything you find interesting using #OMDFWD