Hello and welcome to this week’s OMD FWD bursting with high-tech updates, from audio ticketing to self-driving mobile supermarket and Wimbledon AI-created highlight reels. It was a big week for Google! The company announced numerous updates including their newest VR app called Blocks enabling users to create 3D objects easily, Ad Sense Native ads which appear in the same style ad serving website and plans to fund a new software project that will automate writing local news.
Turning our focus to voice technology, the race is speeding up as Amazon’s Alexa surpassed 15,000 skills as users are encouraged to publish a skill in exchange for an Echo Dot. Samsung might also be joining the competition with “Vega”, an AI-powered speaker powered by the company’s virtual assistant, Bixby. Smart speakers are one of the hottest areas in tech right now, with Apple and Microsoft launching devices as well. It’s all to play for!
- Snapchat’s ‘Paperclip’ tool means you can send links to friends and their ‘Backdrop’ feature allows you to add patterns to the background of a Snap, and Voice Filters
- People can now use photos and videos to reply to Instagram Stories
- Amazon’s Alexa passes 15,000 skills as users are encouraged to publish a skill in exchange for an Echo Dot. Samsung is also building an AI-powered speaker to take on the Amazon Echo and Google Home
- A number of Google updates including Blocks, the company’s newest VR app, designed to make it easy for people to make 3D objects quickly, Ad Sense Native ads that appear in the same style ad serving website and plans to fund a new software project that will automate writing local news
- The IAB releases its new Mobile In-App Ad Spec to help creators streamline the build process
- ComScore is the first to receive ABC certification for video viewability measurement
- Everything we know about Google’s upcoming smartphone, the Pixel 2, as well as a preview of Microsoft’s new Windows 10
- With Wimbledon under way, brands have been very active across Facebook, including IBM’s highlight reels and Evian’s branded daily content show
- Scientists have developed a battery-free mobile phone that is powered by radio waves and its owner’s own voice
- Say goodbye to queuing at music festivals with Ticketmaster’s Audio tickets
- Fed up with estate agents? Here are five unusual ways you can sell your house, including Facebook Live and Gumtree
- Check out how many of Wareable’s tech trends for 2017 came to fruition
- The future of Retail could mean a mobile supermarket comes to you, as well as the growth of emotion AI online and in-store
Please share anything you find interesting on the hashtag #OMDFWD